Conflicts & Outside Employment
SLAC Legal Contacts
Phone: (650) 926-3508
Fax: (650) 926-8705
Phone: (650) 926-8708
Fax: (650) 926-8705
Phone: (650) 926-4701
Fax: (650) 926-8705
If you have a general legal question unrelated to specific SLAC operations, contact the Director of Legal Services at the Stanford University Office of General Counsel at (650) 723-9751.
SLAC Conflict of Interest Requirements and Obtaining Approval for Concurrent Outside Employment
I. Policy on Disclosing and Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
Conflicts of interest occur when employees’ outside activities could influence their professional conduct, including allocation of time and energy, due to considerations of personal gain (financial or otherwise). At a minimum, Stanford and DOE require that SLAC employees disclose to, and obtain approval from, the Director before engaging in any outside employment in addition to their employment at SLAC.
University policies on conflict of interest require avoidance of the following situations:
- Use of privileged or proprietary information for personal gain or other unauthorized purposes
- Use of SLAC or University-supported work, products, results, materials, property records, or information without authorization
- Defining contract terms or specifications, obtaining procurement sensitive information, or serving as an evaluator or initiator relating to a requisition in which the employee has a personal interest
- Acceptance (or giving) of gratuities or special favors from (or to) the DOE or private organizations or individuals with which SLAC or the University conducts business
- Direct participation in career-related decisions of a relative, spouse, or member of one’s household who is also a SLAC employee
II. Concurrent Outside Employment
A. Policy on Concurrent Outside Employment
Concurrent outside employment can raise conflict of interest and conflict of commitment concerns. SLAC employees who wish to engage in concurrent outside employment must demonstrate that this poses no conflict of interest or commitment. There are a number of criteria governing concurrent employment. Under such employment and in addition to the conflicts rules above, employees may not:
- Sacrifice, hamper, or impede their normal duties at SLAC, and the performance of their duties at SLAC must not involve them in any way with the potential outside employer
- Perform “outside” work on SLAC time or perform such work using SLAC, Stanford or government property
- Be a consultant to a company on preparation of a bid, offer, or unsolicited proposal to SLAC
- Use their position at SLAC to provide an unfair competitive advantage to the potential outside employers
B. Required Form for Concurrent Outside Employment
Approval of concurrent outside employment must be obtained before the activity starts. Only the SLAC Director can approve requests for outside employment. If you wish to request approval for such employment, you must do the following: 1) complete the form “Obtaining Approval for Concurrent Outside Employment” (link to form in Section III below); and 2) obtain concurrence signatures from line management and submit to Legal (MS 58) for approval.
The following must be filled out in the form:
- Name and location of firm and the type of services or products it provides.
- Whether the firm is a DOE or NNSA contractor
- Whether the firm is doing business in the atomic energy field. NOTE: As used herein “atomic energy” means “all forms of energy released in the course of nuclear fission or nuclear transformation.” (42 USC 2014(c))
- Whether the firm is a DOE plant or laboratory
- Term of agreement (period of time for performance)
- Detailed description of work to be performed
- A declaration that you are aware of and will abide by the Patent and Copyright Agreement for Stanford Personnel (Form SU-18) which requires that you not enter into any agreement creating copyright or patent obligations that conflict with your disclosure and assignment obligations to the University.
- Disclosure of whether or not you or any member of your immediate family, have or will have a financial interest in the firm. If the answer is yes, then provide details.
III. Guidelines and Form
- Obtaining Approval for Concurrent Outside Employment Form (SLAC login required)
- Director’s Memorandum Concerning Conflicts of Interest and Commitment (SLAC login required)
- Guidelines for Avoiding Personal Conflicts of Interest (SLAC login required)
- Administrative Guide Memo 1.5.2, "Staff Policy on Conflict of Commitment and Interest"
- Administrative Guide Memo 2.1.2, Part 2c, "Employment of Related Persons"
SLAC faculty should also consult the Stanford University Faculty Handbook, Chapter 2, Section 2.7.8 Close Relatives of the Faculty. General information for University faulty can be found in the Faculty Handbook.